Saturday 30 January 2016

Bradford & Queensbury Crawl plus a few in Leeds, 2nd January 2016


This was to be my first pub crawl in 2016 while off work on the Christmas break.

It was the usual National Express bus up to Leeds arriving at 10:00am, a quick walk to the train station, then onto a local train to Bradford. I got into my first pub of the day well before 11:00am so was well pleased.

1: The Old Bank

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

An old bank now thankfully converted into a decent pub, just round the corner from the Ginger Goose. There was a decent choice of real ales on the bar. I opted for a drink of Bradford Northern Soul which went down well after the journey up here from Nottingham.

I now had to go and take some photos of pubs in Bradford city centre that I would do later in the day when it was dark. So it was off up to North Parade where there there seems to be lots of new bars opening. After taking my photos I noticed that there was a pub just opening so I couldn't resist going in for a quick half.

2: The Sparrow

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

This is a small pub that was probably converted from a shop. There was a decent choice of real ales on the bar, and I had a drink of Raw Winter Soltice which was a very nice drink. I had a chat with the friendly barmaid, and I quite liked this place.

3: The Turls Green 

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield
 
A modern looking Wetherspoons that is in a nice location overlooking what looks like Bradford's main square. The beer choice was a bit disappointing for a 'Spoons but I was only having a half so nothing to moan about. I had an Oakham JHB which was a really nice drink.

It was now a short walk to the bus station to get a bus up to Queensbury, all new territory for me. The plan was to do a pretty simple pub crawl following the road from Queensbury back down into Bradford. The bus ride was uphill all the way to Queensbury and so far up the hill it got thick with fog. I was told later in a pub that Queensbury has its own weather system, different to Bradford or Halifax.

4: Ring o Bells

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield


A nice looking stone built pub. There was one real ale on here which was Theakston Best. This is a bog standard beer, but at least it was a real ale. There was also a real fire on the go making the pub seem quite nice.

What I thought would be a short walk to my next pub, The Omnibus, was a bit longer than I thought it would be, and when I got there the pub was firmly shut. So it was an even longer walk to the New Dolphin. I had passed a chippy on the way down so decided to go in to have something to eat. I had a really nice haddock with scraps on for £3 - a bargain.

5: New Dolphin Inn

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A very pleasant locals' pub with two real ales on the bar. I had a drink of Black Sheep Bitter which went down well after the haddock and scraps. A short walk took me to pub No 6:

6: Queensbury Tavern 

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A decent enough stone built pub that is in the middle of Queensbury. Only one real ale on which was Doom Bar, but this was a decent enough drink.

The pub crawl was going roughly downhill from here, but not in terms of pubs. A shortish walk and I was in pub No 7:

7: Halfway House

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A three-roomed Samuel Smiths tied house, This was quite a nice pub which was surprisingly empty on my Saturday dinner visit. The Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter was not real, but I have always liked Sam's keg beers so no problem, and a snip at 90p a half.

Another shortish walk and pub No 8 was in view:

8: Old Dolphin

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A nice looking pub from the outside and also decent enough inside. Two real ales on here, and I had a drink of Timothy Taylor Landlord which went down well.

The pub crawl was all going to plan, but it was still thick with fog. Hopefully when I really started going downhill it would clear.

9: Boars Head 

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

My last pub in Queensbury before heading into Bradford's southern suburbs. This is a decent looking roadside pub, the sort you now see closed and boarded all too often. Two-roomed and quite smart in my opinion, with two real ales on the bar, and I had a decent drink of Tetley cask.

I was now heading downhill proper into Bradford. It was still foggy and now also raining.

10: Hare & Hounds

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A long fronted pub with its front door out of use. I was told this was due to it being too slippy, so I entered the pub from the rear and found a decent pub garden, while the pub is quite big inside. Two real ales on here, and I had a Tetley cask which was a decent drink.

The hill I was going down was now a bit steeper. It was still raining but the further down I went the more the fog was clearing.

11: The Crown

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A nice looking pub with another long frontage. This pub was quite large inside, and although food seemed to be a big draw, the pub still seemed quite pubby with all that goes with it - pool, darts and TV showing football. There were two real ales on the bar, and I had another nice Tetley cask.

Another short walk and I was in Pub No 12:

12: The Monkey

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

I think this pub has a couple of rooms, but I had a drink in the main bar room and did not look round. Three real ales on here, and I had a drink of Oakham JHB which was on top form. I do like this beer.

I was still going downhill and I think I was in the Great Horton area of Bradford - it was still raining.

13: White Horse

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

This is a decent looking pub with a long frontage. It was my second keg only pub up to now so not too bad. I had a drink of Tetley Smooth which was cold and crap, and also the most expensive beer up to now. The pub was empty on my Saturday afternoon visit - I wonder why?

Shortly I was in Pub No 14:

14: George & Dragon

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A decent looking single roomed pub with one real ale on. I had a drink of Tetley cask which was decent.

Another short walk took me to Pub No 15:

15: Kings Arms

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A nice looking pub but shame about the lack of a real ale. I had a drink of Wm Youngers bitter which was poor, but better than the other option of John Smiths Smooth crap.

The next pub was to be the last on my last on this stretch of road. The landlord of the Bulls Head said all pubs have closed going further into the city centre.

16: Bulls Head

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A stone built corner pub, and a true survivor in this area of Bradford. A decent sized single room, but no real ales on the bar so it was another drink of Wm Youngers Bitter which was poor but a better bet than John Smiths. 

A short wait and I was on another bus back into the city centre.

17:  Record Cafe

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A small bar that was more than likely converted from a record shop. Four real ales on the bar, and had a Vocation Bread & Bitter which was a nice drink. This is a decent bar that was quite busy on my late Saturday afternoon visit.

18: City Gent

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A pub housed in a grand looking building, and once inside it is still very grand. Three real ales on the bar, and I had a drink of Bradford Hockney Ale which went down very well.

A short walk back down North Parade and I was in Pub No 19:

19: The Beer House

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A large pub with one very large room, and three real ales on the bar. I had a drink of Clarks Brass which was quite nice. The pub was very busy but not really to my liking.

Another very short walk and I was in Pub No 20:

20: Al's Dime Bar


(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

This bar had just opened as I was passing which was a bit of luck. A small single room and two real ales on. I had a drink of Roosters Buckeye which went down well. The bar was filling up quickly during my short visit. I quite liked this one.

After a bit of a walk round the middle of Bradford I decided to give up on finding any more new pubs to do, what with it still raining. So it was back to Bradford Interchange for a train back to Leeds.

Back in Leeds I decided to do The Queens, a large hotel close to the train station.

21: The Queens
Photo taken by Alan Winfield

A large hotel with a large bar open to all. There were Leeds fans plus some more well heeled customers in on my early Saturday evening visit. One pump on the bar but not in use, so I had a drink of Tetley Smooth which was expensive and crap.

I was now heading back to the bus station and decided to do the Revolution that I had took a photo of late last year but not done.

22: Revolution

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

One very long room with an equally long bar. No real ales here which is to be expected of the Revolution chain of pubs. I had a  drink of Shipyard Pale Ale which was not that bad. The pub was very busy with a good mix of customers, not just younger ones.

A short walk and I was in my last pub of my crawl.

23: The Norman

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield

Similar shaped to the Revolution, and no real ales on here, but there were some different keg beers and tasters were offered. I had a drink of Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale Ale. This was a decent enough keg beer but too fizzy for my liking.

This was a good start to 2016 on my pub crawling quest. 23 new pubs done and only 6 keg-only pubs.

Next Pub Crawl will be an older one, then some of my stats if I get round to them.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading that. You must have done a fair walk over the day Alan, even with the two short bus trips.

    Glad you enjoyed Bradford's pubs. I stay there quite a bit and enjoy the atmosphere, though I hadn't done at least a dozen of the pubs you did !

    Do you have a list of the Bradford pubs you ticked off, as there must be a couple of hundred altogether ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work off an old Bradford guide to real ale,i have now done five pub crawls in Bradford and i am trying to do all pubs in the city,i think there may be just over 200 within the cities bondarys,i dont count Queensbury as in the city.
    I really like Bradford and prefer it to Leeds where i get off the bus.
    At some point i will do some stats of pubs done in large cities,not sure how it will go down though.
    Thanks for reading my new blog,early days it will get better over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how you pick the pubs/bars to go to, but those two in Leeds seem to be very strange choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do any pub or bar i see open,my main pub crawl was in Bradford but i had to go back to Leeds to get a bus back to Nottingham,so i pick up any bars on the way from the train station to the bus station,usually two or three on each pub crawl in the West Yorkshire area.
    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete