Saturday 9 January 2016

London City & West Brompton, Earls Court & Chelsea Crawl, 1st July 2015

It was an early start on what was to be the warmest day of the year. I was on a weeks' holiday from work so I had the chance to do a mid week crawl.

I had a nice trip down to Golders Green on National Express, but once I got off the coach the heat met me.

A tube into the City and I was in my first pub before 11:00am.

1: The Windsor

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

Very close to Fenchurch Street train station and set slightly below street level. The pub was empty but it seemed a decent enough pub to me and at least I was out out of the sun. There were five real ales on the bar, and I had a drink of Twickenham Sundancer which went down a treat.

It was hopefully a short walk to the the next pub, but in rushing to get out of the heat I went the wrong way, and by the time I reached the Goodman Fields I was melting.

2: The Goodman Fields

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

This is a Wetherspoons pub that is set under what looks like a 1930s built office block. No air conditioning so I was overheating whilst having a drink of Red Squirrel Legally Blonde. This drink was decent enough though.

Now in E1 and what is probably Whitechapel.

3: The Dispensary

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A new pub in a old grand looking building. Most seating seemed to be for diners so I sat in a posh looking chair which was near an open door to the rear, so I was getting a bit of a breeze. Three real ales on the bar, and I had a drink of Harveys Bitter which was sadly not at its best.

A short walk and I was in pub number 4.

4: The Brown Bear

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

I quite liked this pub. Only two real ales on, and I had a drink of Doom Bar. I was a bit cooler but still far too warm.

My next pub was going to be The Pepperpot, but the pub looked firmly closed, so it was a bit of a walk to pub number 5.

5: Cape

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A modern bar in a redeveloped area of the docks. I quite liked this fairly large bar with three real ales on. I had a drink of Trumans Swift which was a very nice drink.

I retraced my steps and tried to do Wiltons, but it was closed and being refurbished, so a shortish walk by the side of rail arches and I was in a really nice back street pub.

6: The Dog & Truck

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A small single roomed pub which had a small open kitchen but also a pool table. There were three real ales on here, and I had a drink of Harveys Bitter which was very nice. I quite liked this pub, one I will revisit if in the area.

I had already decided to do two areas of London so it was a walk to Aldgate East tube doing a couple of pubs while heading there.

7: Oliver Conquest

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A small single room pub with only one real ale on. I had a drink of Timothy Taylor Landlord, which was decent enough but expensive at £4.80 a pint. Glad I only had a half.

A very short walk and I was in pub number 8.

8: The Black Horse

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

Seemed too modern for my liking. The downstairs room only had tall tables and chairs, so I hope the room upstairs was more comfortable. Three real ales on here, and I had a drink of Windsor & Eton Knights of the Garter which went down well.

It was a quick walk to Aldgate East tube passing some pubs I had done in the past. I eventually got off at West Brompton tube after one change.

9: Lillie Langtry

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A fairly large pub and one of four pubs close to the station, so not much walking in the very hot sun. No real ales on here, so it was a drink of John Smiths Smooth crap, a very disappointing pub.

10: The Atlas

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A nice looking ivy-clad pub, the best pub in West Brompton in my opinion. Bare boarded and four real ales on,  I had a drink of Otter Bitter which went down well.

A very short walk and I was in pub number 11.

11: Imperial Arms

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A small and basic pub with no real ales on. I had a drink of John Smiths Extra Cold which was crap. I liked looking at the table tops which had different maps of the world on them. I did note there are not that many pubs left like this one in London, and sadly The Imperial Arms seems to have closed since my visit due to redevelopment of the area, what a shame.

12: Prince of Wales

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A fairly large pub that is almost opposite West Brompton tube station. Three real ales on here, and I had a drink of Jennings Cumberland which was not that good unfortunately.

A shortish walk in the very hot sun and I was in pub number 13.

13: The Pembrook

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A typical-looking London corner pub, now painted in the awful battleship grey. I only noted one beer here which was Hogs Back TEA which went down well. This was the only pub in the area that was empty on my Wednesday afternoon visit.

14: The Bolton

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A very large corner pub with four real ales on. I had a drink of Doom Bar which went down well after a walk in the, by now, very hot day.

A bit of a longer walk and I was in pub number 15.

15: The Drayton Arms

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

I liked the look of this pub from the outside and was not disappointed once inside. Three real ales on the bar, and I had a Harvistoun Afterglow which was a very nice drink.

It was a very short walk to the next pub.

16: Duke of Clarence

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

This pub looked too modern for my liking, but I had to do it. Not too bad inside but my notes say a bit to twee and fussy, not really my sort of pub. Three real ales on here, and I had a drink of Youngs Bitter which was decent enough. One plus point for the pub was that it was air conditioned which was a blessing on this very hot day.

17: Bumpkin

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

This pub was not on my list to do, but when I noticed it I had to do it. No real ales on here, so I had a drink of keg Whitstable Bay Pale Ale which set me back £2.50 for a half of cold crap.

I was now walking towards Chelsea and got slightly lost and was also having to check for pubs I had already done in the area.

18: Builders Arms

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A decent looking backstreet pub with three real ales on. I had a drink of London Beer Factory Chelsea Blonde which went down well. The pub was packed on my it late Wednesday afternoon visit.

I had to almost retrace my steps to do pub number 19.

19: The Crown

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

Another pub that was packed, maybe the sun had brought everybody out. Two  real ales on here, and I had a drink of Doom Bar which was decent enough.

A walk down to the Kings Road to pick off one of the few pubs I have not done on it yet.

20: The Trafalgar

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A large pub with a gawdy purple painted frontage. It was far better inside than I was expecting and to my surprise three real ales on. I had a drink of Knops East Coast Pale Ale which was a decent drink.

A short walk and I was in pub number 21.

21: The Phoenix

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A back street pub off the Kings Road. It looked very orange from the outside,and was decent enough inside with three real ales on. I had a drink of Youngs Bitter which went down very well. This pub was packed on my early Wednesday evening visit.

A short walk back across Kings Road, up another side street and I was in pub number 22.

22: Queens Head

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

A very nice looking back street corner pub that was packed. Two real ales on here. I had a drink of Sharps Atlantic which went down well.

I was now heading back to Victoria Coach Station which was a good walk via Sloane Square. I passed a few pubs that I had done in the past before going in my last pub of the day.

23: The Belgravia

(c) Photo taken by Alan Winfield.

Formerly the Red Lion, what looks like a 1960s built pub which is under a block of flats. Two real ales on the bar, and I had a drink of Doom Bar which went down well.

A great crawl on by far the hottest day of the year. 23 new pubs done and only two keg only pubs. The Bumpkin was by far the worst pub of the day and the most expensive.

Next crawl will be an old one, then after that my first crawl of 2016.

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading this Alan - thanks for posting. It's interesting how many different beers you found, and good you're prepared to say what was good as well as bad.

    Did you choose the pubs from a list of all the pubs in the area ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin,

    I do plan my pub crawls as i have done just under 1,500 pubs in London,i dont try and do just real ale pubs
    i do any pub and hope for the best,if it sells a decent real ale all the better,but if i have to have keg bitter i will still do the pub.
    Pubs are what i really like doing and have done so since 1980.

    Thanks for posting comments on my new blog,it makes me seem it it is worth doing if i know people are reading it and enjoying the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Article Post!!
    If you are looking for best sports bar London come to the horns, we offer live sports events, shows with full sky and BT packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such great information with us. I hope you will share some more info about "Sports bar". Please keep sharing.

    Sports events bar london

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read. I'm staying near West Brompton tube in a couple of weeks and when I Googled "Real Ale in West Brompton" your pub crawl came up! I know it was a little while back. but hopefully some of them are still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post!!
    Thanks for the information..Such a useful information you have posted here.
    The Golden Bee lounge and cocktail bar in Shoreditch is an oasis of excitement and elegance in London’s trendiest neighborhood, featuring three floors of space and one of the capital’s most sought-after rooftop terraces. It is one of the top lounge bars in Shoreditch, it's weekly schedule is packed with Happy Hour London specials, a delicious drink menu and even food platters for table bookings.

    ReplyDelete